Ladies and Gentlemen

I would like to express my sincerest intention to apply at Seattle University. My name is Oky Aditya Putra. I was born in Jakarta, Indonesia on 7th October 1989. Eventually, I moved in the United States and this move has made me become more adaptable to different cultures, thus making me able to deal with people from different parts of the globe.  I can speak and write well in Bahasa and English.

About myself, some of my hobbies include drawing, playing basketball and swimming. I love swimming and playing basketball because apart from keeping me healthy, these sports also relieve me from lifes daily stress. I have always taken pleasure in these activities because for example, in basketball, I get to play with other people, thus making me more sociable and able to develop my interpersonal skills. I enjoy doing artworks during my free time as well because it helps me express myself better. I have had this interest since I was young. It is also by continuously practicing this said hobby that I am able to improve my craft. It is relevant to note that this talent is so innate in me and that has made my parents encourage me to take up a degree in college that specializes in Arts. In as much as I would like to take their advice, I want to do something that means more to me than just simply being a hobby. Since I do not really see myself pursuing a career in this field, I have tried to make my parents understand that I want to study something that truly interests me and that is a business course majoring in finance. I would like to make a career out of this field and will make sure that I will complete this with very good results.

To give you a brief introduction regarding my education, I earned both my elementary and high school diploma in Jakarta, Indonesia. During my 2nd-4th grade, I was compelled to continue studying in Australia because my father was taking further studies there. Whilst my family and I were in Australia, I got a first taste of a totally different culture, something apart from what I have grown with in Jakarta. Because of that, I became much more confident in conversing with people, making me able to socialize well. When I reached high school, I was sent to an institution where they followed an Australian curriculum and system of education. Students then were free to decide which path they would take in the future  be it in arts, science and dramatheatre. During this phase of my life, I opted to take up a business degree since I already knew the fundamentals of basic accounting, economics and general business itself.

After finishing high school, I then moved to the United States and thought of studying at Bellevue Community College (which is now known as Bellevue College). This time around, it became such a challenging shift because I was the only one in the family who left Indonesia. I have lived in America as the rest of my family still are based in our homeland, Indonesia. Initially, I struggled in adapting to the new culture since it was totally different from what I grew up with. I was, admittedly, culture-shocked and alone. I was not then used to seeing a very diversified group of people. My studies were slightly affected during my adjustment period. Fortunately, I was able to overcome such ordeal when I joined the Indonesian Community Club. This Club actually helped new students like me to cope with the diverse environment, specifically in the United States of America. It was both a challenging and liberating experience because Americans have different set of norms, people are very much not the same (be it in terms of race, personality and culture) and most specially, the college or educational system was dissimilar compared to the one I have known in Jakarta. This organization also represents our nation (Indonesia) for events such as the international nights. Ive got to mingle with people more and that has helped me become more secure.

To add more to that, while I was at the period of deciding and shaping my future, I stumbled upon the thought of taking my studies and prospect career very seriously. I realized I wanted something better, something that would enhance my skills. Because of this, I came to a decision to attend North Seattle Community College. I took an Associate in Business Degree to jumpstart my desire to learn everything about business. I had basic requirements first (which gave me much exposure in the whole idea of a business course) before choosing to take up the major subjects. I pondered about what area of (business) specialization I should dwell into. I was faced with a lot of options and I had to choose the best, only the best.

In order for me to improve my academic qualifications and assist me to compete in my future career, I have decided to finally take up a degree in Business at Seattle University majoring in Finance. I chose Finance because it is a very complex area of study and tricky as well. I deem it as something that will truly help me develop my knowledge about Business. And because Finance is such a sensitive area of any business, I welcome the difficulty and challenges as opportunities to improve myself, harnessing my skills in numbers and honing my analytical capabilities.

Based on the research I did myself and views shared by several senior students  colleagues, I learned that Seattle University  its graduate school- is ranked sixth (6th) amongst all the private schools in the United States of America. I also heard that this institution is better than UW and such enticed me to complete my further studies here. Whats even better to know is that Seattle University is known for the courses it offers in Business programs. Because of the comments I got about Seattle University specifically the graduate school and due to the institutions unblemished credibility, I strongly believe that I will be able to achieve my dreams. It will be a great opportunity for me to be accepted at Seattle University. I have no doubt that through this school, I will be equipped with the right information about business, trainings that will help me sharpen up my understanding in finance and the confidence that I will be able to make it in the tough work environment and become somebody in my field of expertise.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment